
Popular Icons
The three icons I chose for Assignment 2-2 were Britney Spears, the show Saved by The Bell, and President Barack Obama. Britney Spears is a singer, songwriter, and actress. She has millions of fans, and sells out concerts wherever she goes. Saved by The Bell was a show that showcased the life of 6 teenagers, and aired between 1989 and 1993. Each character in this show had a different personality, and we could all relate to at least one character in the show. President Barack Obama is a great orator, intelligent, and has provided hope and many dreams for Americans today. 
Britney Spears plays a huge role in regards to popular culture, because she has a great influence over young girls today, and has had this influence for many years. She makes over $700, 00o monthly due to her music, modeling, clothing line, and perfume. Britney Spears sets trends both fashion and music wise. Saved by The Bell is an older contemporary icon, but this show played a great influence on my friends and I growing up. A lot of the girls I knew were in love Zack or Mario, and wanted to be like either Kelly or Lisa. President Barack Obama is a icon to me because of everything he stands for, his intelligence, and the change he has made to America today. I chose these three icons because they have greatly influenced popular culture, and will probably do so for a long time coming.
Each of these icons mean a lot to me because of the effect they have on popular culture and Americans today. While I personally do not agree with some of the clothing and music Britney Spears sells, I only hope she does the right thing because the public eye is watching her very closely. I remember a few years ago I had to work at one of her concerts for a fundraiser. There were girls there that had their hair dyed blond, and mini-skirts. Saved by The Bell is close to me for sentimental reasons. I remember taking fashion tips from the girls on the show, and I envisioned one day I would marry someone like Zach when I was older. President Barack Obama means a lot to me because of the change it seems America is currently going in. President Obama being elected has given minorities the hope that was needed to show that with perseverance, you can be anything you want to be. I never really believed in that saying until he was elected.
No comments:
Post a Comment